Gannett Wins 34 Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards
McLEAN, VA – Gannett’s Broadcast Division today announced its stations had won a total of 34 regional Edward R. Murrow awards in the 2008 annual competition, more than any other broadcast station group. Four of the awards were for “Overall Excellence.”
The Edward R. Murrow awards, which honor outstanding achievement in broadcast and Web journalism, were announced by the Radio-Television News Directors Association (RTNDA).
“These Edward R. Murrow awards reflect the superb quality of content our TV stations produce each and every day,” said Dave Lougee, president of Gannett Broadcasting. “I am thrilled they have been recognized for their hard work, dedication and commitment to good, solid journalism.”
Gannett award recipients are:
* WKYC-TV: Overall Excellence
* WLTX-TV: Writing; Feature/Hard News
* KUSA-TV: Continuing Coverage; Feature/Hard News; Sports Reporting; Web site; Writing
* WFMY-TV: Videography
* WTLV-TV: Overall Excellence; News Series; Videography
* WBIR-TV: Overall Excellence
* KTHV-TV: Feature/Hard News; News Documentary; News Series; Writing
* KARE-TV: Overall Excellence; Feature Reporting; News Documentary; News Series; Sports Reporting; Spot News Coverage; Web site
* KSDK-TV: Continuing Coverage; Newscast; Sports Reporting; Web site; Writing; Feature/Hard News
* WTSP-TV: Feature Reporting; Writing
* WUSA-TV: Feature Reporting
* WGRZ-TV: Sports Reporting
Gannett TV stations are: W*USA, Washington, DC; WXIA and WATL, Atlanta; KARE, Minneapolis; WTSP, Tampa-St. Petersburg; WKYC, Cleveland; KPNX, Phoenix, KNAZ, Flagstaff; K*USA and KTVD, Denver; KXTV, Sacramento; KSDK, St. Louis; WZZM, Grand Rapids, MI; WFMY, Greensboro, NC; WGRZ, Buffalo, NY; WTLV and WJXX, Jacksonville, FL; KTHV, Little Rock; WBIR, Knoxville, TN; WCSH, Portland, ME; WLTX, Columbia, SC; WMAZ, Macon, GA; and WLBZ, Bangor, ME.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a leading international news and information company that publishes 85 daily newspapers in the USA, including USA TODAY, the nation’s largest-selling daily newspaper. The company also owns nearly 900 non-daily publications in the USA and USA WEEKEND, a weekly newspaper magazine. Gannett subsidiary Newsquest is the United Kingdom’s second largest regional newspaper company. Newsquest publishes nearly 300 titles, including 17 daily newspapers, and a network of prize-winning Web sites. Gannett also operates 23 television stations in the United States and is an Internet leader with sites sponsored by its TV stations and newspapers including USATODAY.com, one of the most popular news sites on the Web.
Vice President of Corporate Communications