TEGNA Announces 2019 Media Grants to Support Diversity and Professional Development
Tysons, VA – TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) today announced that the TEGNA Foundation, the charitable foundation sponsored by TEGNA, has approved a slate of grants to support training for the next generation of diverse journalists and education and development opportunities for journalists and other professionals in the media field.
“TEGNA is committed to a diverse workforce that represents the communities we serve. Providing hands-on training and support ensures that students entering our field, journalists and professionals are able to gain valuable skills and thrive in our industry,” said Dave Lougee, president and CEO, TEGNA, and chairman, TEGNA Foundation.
The 2019 Round 1 TEGNA Foundation Media Grant recipients:
- National Association of Black Journalists supporting its initiative the “Black Male Media Project” and a professional development workshop during the 2019 NABJ Convention and Career Fair
- Asian American Journalists Association supporting a workshop focused on investigative journalism at the AAJA conference
- National Association of Hispanic Journalists toward its immersion newsroom experience for journalism students during their annual conference
- The Native American Journalist Association for funding toward a student newsroom experience during their annual conference
- Investigative Reporters & Editors supporting two panels at its 2019 IRE Conference focused on potential issues surrounding media legal questions and FOIA requests
- National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association in support of its annual conference and to contribute to its student journalism project
- Poynter-NABJ Leadership Academy for Diversity in Digital Media to support its 2019-20 educational programs based in St. Petersburg, FL
- Online News Association supporting the ONA-U special event for students, educators and young professionals at their annual conference
- Radio Television Digital News Association to support the student newsroom experience at their annual conference
- ABA Fund for Justice and Education to support the First Amendment and Media Law Diversity Moot Court Competition at their annual conference
Outside of the Media Grants category, TEGNA Foundation also made a $25,000 grant to the National Association of Broadcasters Education Foundation to support its 2019 Sales Institute Program.
TEGNA Foundation Media Grants support funding for the development of the next generation of diverse journalists, in addition to efforts to support journalism ethics and freedom of the press. Media organizations seeking funding for specific projects that address these areas of focus may apply to the TEGNA Foundation in two annual cycles. To learn more about the TEGNA Foundation and the Media Grant program, click here.
In addition to the Media Grants, the TEGNA Foundation awards hundreds of Community Grants annually through its 49 television stations in 41 markets across the country. Last year, the TEGNA Foundation funded nearly 350 community grants through stations to support local needs such as education, youth development, hunger, emergency assistance to families and individuals in crisis and environmental conservation.
About TEGNA TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. With 49 television stations and two radio stations in 41 markets, TEGNA delivers relevant content and information to consumers across platforms. It is the largest owner of top 4 affiliates in the top 25 markets, reaching one-third of all television households nationwide. Each month, TEGNA reaches 50 million adults on-air and approximately 35 million across its digital platforms. TEGNA has been consistently honored with the industry’s top awards, including Edward R. Murrow, George Polk, Alfred I. DuPont and Emmy Awards. TEGNA also delivers innovative and unparalleled solutions for advertisers through TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS). TMS is a one-stop shop that helps businesses thrive through an unmatched suite of services and solutions that reach consumers across television, email, social and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. For more information, visit www.TEGNA.com.
For media inquiries, contact:
Vice President, Corporate Communications
For investor inquiries, contact:
Senior Vice President, Capital Markets & Investor Relations