TEGNA, Arby’s Foundation and Points of Light Unite in Service on Saturday for Make A Difference Day
McLEAN, VA – TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is partnering with Arby’s Foundation and Points of Light this Saturday, October 22, for Make A Difference Day. Make A Difference Day is one of the largest annual single-days of service nationwide. Tens of thousands of volunteers across the country will unite on Saturday with a common mission: to improve the lives of others through a wide range of community-driven service projects.
“TEGNA is committed to having a positive impact on the communities we serve. Through Make A Difference Day, we are able to do just that,” said Gracia Martore, president and CEO, TEGNA. “I look forward to Make A Difference Day every year. The day reminds us that everyone has the power to do something that makes a difference in the lives of others.”
The TEGNA Foundation, supported by TEGNA, will contribute $185,000 in community grants for Make A Difference Day projects across the country. Combined, TEGNA employees and their families will take part in nearly 50 Make A Difference Day projects. Some of the volunteer projects include:
- WXIA in Atlanta will help the Atlanta Mission, a shelter for women and children.
- WKYC in Cleveland will work with Business Volunteers Unlimited on five community projects including volunteering at a homeless shelter and renovating a public school library.
- WWL in New Orleans is joining forces with STEM NOLA, a non-profit which introduces children to opportunities in science, technology, engineering and math.
- KPNX and G/O Digital in Phoenix will volunteer at the Be A Leader Foundation to assist non-English speaking student apply to school.
- KING in Seattle is kicking off a partnership with the Nature Conservancy and Stewardship Partners on a five-year effort to help clean Puget Sound. They will build rain gardens at five locations.
- KMSB and KTTU in Tucson will team with Casa De Los Niño’s, a crisis center for abused and neglected children, to host a carnival and other fun events for the children staying at the home.
- KCEN and KAGS in Waco, TX are working with United Service Organizations, Inc to clean and reorganize a USO warehouse at Fort Hood. They will also assist with Fort Hood’s Movies On The Lawn Event serving Fort Hood’s service members and their families.
Arby’s employees across the country will also participate in Make A Difference Day service projects in their local communities.
“We are thrilled to be a part of Make a Difference Day for the first time this year. ‘Make a Difference’ is one of our six core values and has guided our business for decades,” said Paul Brown, CEO, Arby’s Restaurant Group. “We look forward to bringing this core value to life across the country this weekend by giving back to the many communities where we serve.”
“Points of Light is a founding partner of Make A Difference Day and we are thrilled to be working with TEGNA and Arby’s Foundation on this annual day of service,” said Tracy Hoover, CEO, Points of Light. “Communities across the country will be improved because of the hard-work, dedication and teamwork of Make A Difference Day volunteers. We thank all the volunteers and celebrate their commitment to service.”
Make A Difference Day began in 1992 and takes place annually on the fourth Saturday in October. Make A Difference Day is made possible by the employees of TEGNA with support from the Arby’s Foundation and longtime partner Points of Light.
Volunteers are encouraged to register their service project at makeadifferenceday.com. By registering, project organizers are eligible to win a $10,000 grant to donate to a charity of their choice. Visit makeadifferenceday.com for more information.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is comprised of a dynamic portfolio of media and digital businesses that provide content that matters and brands that deliver. TEGNA reaches more than 90 million Americans and delivers highly relevant, useful and smart content, when and how people need it, to make the best decisions possible. TEGNA Media includes 46 television stations and is the largest independent station group of major network affiliates in the top 25 markets, reaching approximately one-third of all television households nationwide. TEGNA Digital is comprised of Cars.com, the leading online destination for automotive consumers, CareerBuilder, a global leader in human capital solutions, and other powerful brands such as G/O Digital and Cofactor. For more information, visit www.TEGNA.com.
About the Arby’s Foundation
The Arby’s Foundation, the charitable arm of Arby’s, carries out a mission to end childhood hunger in America. Building on a philanthropic heritage that has contributed over $71 million to child-related causes since its inception in 1986, the Arby’s Foundation is working to ensure every child in America has the meals they need to succeed, especially when school is out. With more than 16 million U.S. children—more than 1 in 5—facing hunger daily, the Arby’s Foundation has devoted its resources to providing education and access to wholesome food choices for children across the country. The Arby’s Foundation is a registered 501 (c) (3) organization headquartered in Atlanta. To learn more, visit www.arbysfoundation.org.
About Points of Light
Points of Light, the world’s largest organization dedicated to volunteer service, mobilizes millions of people to take action that is changing the world. Through affiliates in 250 cities and partnerships with thousands of nonprofits and corporations, Points of Light engages four million volunteers in 30 million hours of service each year. We bring the power of people where it’s needed most. For more information, visit www.pointsoflight.org.
For media inquiries, contact:
Manager, Corporate Communications
For investor inquiries, contact:
Vice President, Investor Relations