TEGNA Partners in Make A Difference Day to Unite Volunteers Across the Country
McLEAN, VA – TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) and its dynamic portfolio of media and digital businesses will take part in Make A Difference Day this Saturday, October 24. Make A Difference Day is the nation’s largest single-day of community service, bringing together millions of Americans with a common mission — to improve the lives of others through volunteerism. The TEGNA Foundation, supported by TEGNA, will contribute $170,000 in community grants for Make A Difference Day projects across the country. TEGNA is a proud sponsor of Make A Difference Day in collaboration with USA TODAY/Gannett, Points of Light and Newman’s Own. The event was created in 1992 and has since helped millions of Americans.
“At TEGNA, our purpose is to empower the people we serve. We are committed to making a difference and being a partner in people’s lives,” said Gracia Martore, president and CEO, TEGNA. “Seeing communities across the country come together is inspiring and demonstrates the best of the American spirit. It’s a reminder that all of us have the power to do something, big or small, that can make a positive and meaningful impact.”
Combined, TEGNA employees and their families will take part in nearly 50 Make A Difference Day projects across the country. Some of the volunteer projects include:
- KARE in Minneapolis, MN will help Minneapolis Recreation Development Inc. by making meals and assembling items, such as blankets and hats, for the local homeless community;
- KPNX and G/O Digital in Phoenix, AZ will come together to assist the Be A Leader Foundation by helping non-English speaking students through the college application and financial aid process;
- WFAA in Dallas, TX will help Educational First Steps by upgrading the physical appearance of a preschool as well as supporting a phone bank to raise money and awareness;
- WGRZ in Buffalo, NY will work with Veterans One-stop Center of Way Inc. to conduct a business suit drive for local veterans, allowing veterans to obtain free business clothing to wear during job interviews;
- WZZM in Grand Rapids, MI will run a one-day bone marrow drive on the campus of Grand Valley State University;
- And at TEGNA’s corporate headquarters in McLean, VA, staff will volunteer alongside employees from Gannett and USA TODAY to help Food for Others by packing thousands of weekend power pack meals for area elementary school students who often go hungry on the weekends without a guaranteed school meal to eat.
Organizers of Make A Difference Day projects are encouraged to register at makeadifferenceday.com. By registering, projects become eligible to win a national award and a $10,000 donation from Newman’s Own. In addition, one previous national honoree will receive the All-Star Award and a $10,000 donation from both the TEGNA Foundation and the Gannett Foundation for demonstrating continued excellence on Make A Difference Day. Awards will be presented at a luncheon in Washington, D.C. during the spring of 2016.
Additional information can be found at www.makeadifferenceday.com.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA), formerly Gannett Co., Inc., is comprised of a dynamic portfolio of media and digital businesses that provide content that matters and brands that deliver. TEGNA reaches more than 90 million Americans and delivers highly relevant, useful and smart content, when and how people need it, to make the best decisions possible. TEGNA Media includes 46 television stations (including those serviced by TEGNA) and is the largest independent station group of major network affiliates in the top 25 markets, reaching approximately one-third of all television households nationwide. TEGNA Digital is comprised of Cars.com, the leading online destination for automotive consumers, CareerBuilder, a global leader in human capital solutions, and other powerful brands such as G/O Digital, Cofactor, Clipper and Sightline Media Group. For more information, visit www.TEGNA.com.
For media inquiries, contact:
Vice President, Corporate Communications
For investor inquiries, contact:
Vice President, Investor Relations