Publisher Appointments Announced at Gannett Newspapers
ARLINGTON, Va. — Several executive appointments were announced today in the Newspaper Division.
* Danny A. Martin becomes president and publisher of the Courier-Post at Cherry Hill, N.J. He succeeds Robert T. Collins, who earlier today was named president and publisher of the Asbury Park Press and Home News & Tribune in New Jersey.
* Bernard M. Griffin succeeds Martin as president and publisher of the Springfield (Mo.) News-Leader. He also becomes a vice president in the Midwest Newspaper group.
* William V. Monopoli succeeds Griffin as president and publisher of the Press & Sun-Bulletin at Binghamton, N.Y.
* Michael S. Scobey succeeds Monopoli as president and publisher of the Times Herald at Port Huron, Mich.
* Betty B. Smith succeeds Scobey as president and publisher of the Wausau (Wis.) Daily Herald.
* Hal H. Tanner III succeeds Smith as president and publisher of the Baxter Bulletin at Mountain Home, Ark. He previously was assistant to the senior group president of the Piedmont Newspaper Group.
Martin is an experienced Gannett executive, who previously had held publisher posts in Fort Myers, Fla.; Huntington, W. Va.; and Port Huron, Mich. He began his Gannett career in 1971 at the Battle Creek (Mich.) Enquirer, where he served in a variety of news management roles.
Griffin joined Gannett in Binghamton, where he later advanced through various management positions, including production director. He was named to a similar post in Wilmington, Del., in 1983. He became president and publisher of the St. Cloud (Minn.) Times in 1984. He returned to Binghamton in 1990. He also has served as a vice president of the East and Central Newspaper groups.
Monopoli is a New York state native who joined Gannett in 1987 at the Suburban Newspaper Group in New Jersey. In 1987, he was named president and publisher of the Hattiesburg (Miss.) American. He joined the Times Herald in 1991.
Scobey joined Gannett in 1975 at the Rockford (Ill.) Register Star. He later held advertising management positions at the Chillicothe (Ohio) Gazette, The Reporter in Lansdale, Pa., and the Journal and Courier in Lafayette, Ind. He was named president and publisher in Chillicothe in 1989. He joined the Daily Herald in 1992.
Smith joined Gannett with the Multimedia acquisition in 1995. She was named publisher of the Baxter Bulletin in 1993. She previously held advertising management positions at the Greenville (S.C.) News.
Tanner also joined Gannett from Multimedia. He joined the Greenville News in 1986. He has served in a variety of management positions, including business manager and circulation director.
Gannett is a nationwide news and information company that publishes 91 daily newspapers, including USA TODAY, and USA WEEKEND, a newspaper magazine. Gannett also operates 18 television stations, five radio stations, cable television systems in five states and alarm security services.