TEGNA Foundation and WUSA9 Award Nearly $65,000 to Help 11 D.C.-Area Nonprofit Organizations
McLEAN, VA – The TEGNA Foundation, the charitable foundation sponsored by Tysons, VA-based TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA), and WUSA9, TEGNA’s CBS affiliate in Washington, D.C., announced today they will award 11 area nonprofit organizations community grants totaling $64,500. The grants will help make a difference and better serve communities in the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia.
The D.C.-area grant recipients are:
- The Latin American Youth Center, Inc. The grant will support the LGBTQ Stripes program, an after-school leadership and advocacy program for LGBTQ youth and their allies.
- Washington AIDS Partnership. The grant will support activities aimed at ending HIV/AIDS in Greater Washington, D.C. TEGNA has supported the Washington AIDS Partnership since 1992.
- The USO of Metropolitan Washington. The grant will support Turkeys for Troops which provides Thanksgiving boxes with grocery gift cards to junior enlisted active duty service members in need of assistance.
- Street Sense, Inc. The grant will support the film co-op program, teaching individuals who have been homeless about digital journalism and filmmaking.
- The Women’s Center. The grant will provide essential, outcome-based mental health care to those in need.
- Prince George’s Child Resources Center. The grant will support the Family Support Center, providing parenting education, adult basic education and employment readiness services.
- The Prince William Area Free Clinic Inc. The grant will support patient transportation services, eliminating transportation barriers for low-income, uninsured patients.
- The Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs. The grant will support the D.C. Public School Partnership Program, which helps educational tutoring and mentorship programs between area law firms and D.C. public schools.
- A Wider Circle. The grant will support the Basic Needs Program, which provides items such as furniture and personal care items to individuals and families transitioning out of homlessness, fleeing domestic abuse or otherwise living without essentials
- Alive Inc. The grant will support the Food and Family Emergency Programs, providing food and emergency financial assistance to thousands of households in need and promoting self-reliance and self-sufficiency.
- Friends of Fort Dupont Ice Arena, Inc. The grant will support the Schools Skate for Fitness program, providing local school children valuable physical fitness.
“These grants help 11 well-deserving nonprofits make a difference in the lives of many people in the D.C.-area,” said Dave Lougee, president and CEO, TEGNA. “We are proud to support these exceptional organizations and, alongside WUSA9, look forward to working with them to serve the greater good of our community.”
“At WUSA9, our mission is to serve Washington by making a measurable impact in people’s lives and the D.C. community,” said Richard Dyer, president and general manager, WUSA9. “We want to rally people together and be part of the solution to issues facing our community. These grants will go a long way to making a real difference in the lives of many.”
This month, the TEGNA Foundation is awarding 270 community grants to help support multiple nonprofit organizations across TEGNA’s 38 markets. This is the second round of community grants this year. To date, in 2017, the TEGNA Foundation has awarded 396 grants. Most community grants are between $4,000-$7,000.
In addition to the community grants awarded this year, the TEGNA Foundation contributed $185,000 to help fund TEGNA’s local stations’ Make A Difference Day projects. Make A Difference Day is one of the largest single-days of service nationwide. Started by TEGNA in 1992, the day unites volunteers from across the country to help improve the lives of others through community service. This year, Make A Difference Day brought together thousands of volunteers in 500 communities in nearly every state. In Washington, D.C., volunteers from WUSA9 and TEGNA’s headquarters worked with the United Way of the National Capital Area to assemble 75,000 weekend food packages for local students who are food insecure.
Community grants are determined by each TEGNA station and approved by the station’s general manager and the TEGNA Foundation Board of Directors. The donation amounts and nonprofit recipients vary depending on the unique needs and local priorities of that community.
Priorities for the TEGNA Foundation community grants include education and neighborhood improvement, economic development, youth development, community problem-solving, assistance to disadvantaged people, environmental conservation and cultural enrichment. In addition, the Foundation is proud to fund nonprofit organizations and programs that promote and celebrate the diversity of the communities we serve. The Foundation also invests in the future of the media industry, supports employee giving and community volunteerism, responds to natural disasters and contributes to a variety of other charitable causes.
For more information on the TEGNA Foundation, go to TEGNAFoundation.org.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. With 46 television stations in 38 markets, TEGNA delivers relevant content and information to consumers across platforms. It is the largest owner of top 4 affiliates in the top 25 markets, reaching approximately one-third of all television households nationwide. Each month, TEGNA reaches 50 million adults on-air and 35 million across its digital platforms. TEGNA has been consistently honored with the industry’s top awards, including Edward R. Murrow, George Polk, Alfred I. DuPont and Emmy Awards. TEGNA delivers results for advertisers through unparalleled and innovative solutions including OTT local advertising network Premion, centralized marketing resource Hatch, and G/O Digital, a one-stop shop for local businesses to connect with consumers through digital marketing. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. For more information, visit www.TEGNA.com.
For media inquiries, contact:
Manager, Corporate Communications
For investor inquiries, contact:
Vice President, Investor Relations