The Hybrid Customer Journey: How Local Plays a Key Role in a Post-COVID World
It’s no secret that the pandemic changed the way consumers shop and purchase goods and services. As things shape into a new normal, are shoppers returning to brick-and-mortar stores? Here’s what your brand needs to know in reaching new hybrid customers.
It’s no secret that the pandemic changed the way consumers shop and purchase goods and services. With storefronts closed, many retailers embraced e-commerce and “click and collect” shopping, which helped many through rough times.
But as stores began to open back up, have consumers returned to brick-and-mortar?
Yes and no.
The consumer experience has transformed into a hybrid of both online and in-store options. In fact, 33% of consumers are hybrid shoppers based on price, availability, and convenience. Here’s what the data from an Uberall report says of shoppers new habits:
- – 43% will do the most shopping in-store
- – 37% research online & buy in-store
- – 19% buy online & pick up in-store
- – 18% see items in-store & buy online
- – 17% research online & buy online
The Power of Local
When customers were asked which best describes their preferred shopping experience, Uberall reports 82% of shoppers are still planning to shop locally after the pandemic. Additionally:
- – 37% shop locally, even when it’s more expensive or less convenient
- - 20% buy online only if they can’t find what they’re looking for locally
- - 19% buy from wherever they can get the best price
- - 14% want to shop locally, but find it easier to shop online
- - 10% buy from wherever they can get the best product
What does this mean for your brand?
The in-store experience is essential, as is a digital one – and it’s all about convenience. You’ll also want to make sure that your brand is adapting to the “new normal” and is able to reach a target audience with communications about these adaptations. With 64 local news stations in 51 markets across the country, TEGNA offers broadcast opportunities for brands to extend reach, scale, and connect with target audiences for a low CPA. Meanwhile, Local TEGNA stations reach an average of 35 million digitally each month, and ads placed here come in a variety of forms including display ads, pre-roll digital video, and act as the perfect digital complement to TV ad campaigns. Click here to learn more.